As many people know it can be very easy to make plans however harder to action them. I seem to be very good at procrastination and less so of removing things from my to do list.
To help me focus and get into the swing of programming I have decided that I need to set myself proper tasks with a set time for completion. To make sure that I carry through I am also going to be posting updates on my blog.
The plan is to start a new project on the 1st of every month, once the end of the month arrives I should have a project that I can then release. This does not necessarily mean the product will be perfect but in a state that I am happy to show others and essentially gives me something to build upon in future. Some of these may remain proof of concepts therefore will never be in a finalised state.
I have now set myself a bucket list, over time I will mark off those that are completed and add new tasks and projects to the list.
For my first month I am working on a simple Crossword Maker. This will not necessarily be something that will result in a finalised project but aims at getting me back into the swing of programming again.
The requirements of this are quite simple. For creating the crossword we have:
- User decides on the grid size for the crossword and this is output to the browser
- User can select which boxes are blank.
- User enters the answers into the crossword
- Script automatically creates numbered clue placeholders
- User can specify the question
- Potential to have a script automatically generate the crossword with specified answers so that the creator doesn’t have to crate the layout.
For allowing people to complete the crossword:
- Script fetches the structure from the server and outputs this
- User manually enters the answers into the crossword grid
- If a user clicks on a clue when the user starts to enter the answer it automatically puts the letters into the correct locations.
- Another potential would be to have a cheat option that fills in a letter for a chosen clue.
What do you guys think? How do you keep yourself motivated and staying on task? How about suggestions for projects?